AWOL participants will…
- feel confident and be proficient in outdoor skills;
- forge relationships with new friends, mentors, and AWOL staff;
- feel supported by their new friends, AWOL mentors, and the AWOL staff;
- have stronger self-identities, improved self-esteem, and a healthier well-being;
- understand how to care for and improve their minds and bodies through physical and mental challenges, especially those undertaken in the outdoors;
- understand environmental influences on their self-image, using this awareness to become empowered, self-confident, and strong so they may lead healthier lives, contribute positively in their communities, and become stewards of the environment;
- and feel accomplished in the sense that they have given back to their communities and back to the land through community service projects that connect them to natural places.
Mission & Values
The AWOL Mission
The AWOL Institute aims to enrich the emotional, social, and adventurous life of each girl through education and outdoor activities.
The AWOL Institute aims to improve girls’ understanding of the benefits of nature by giving them opportunities to participate in outdoor activities in an all-girls setting. Our programs will increase and strengthen girls’ personal drive, leadership qualities, and proficiency in outdoor skills. Girls will gain a richer understanding of their strengths as young women and their powers as young stewards for our natural world.
Because of our firm belief in the benefits of nature, The AWOL Institute wants to increase adolescent girls’ participation in outdoor activities. The Institute strives to not only heighten girls’ awareness of the benefits of outdoor activities, but also to teach young women how to reap the benefits of outdoor activities. Through participation in outdoor activities, girls will gain a multitude of physical, mental, and emotional benefits.
AWOL’s founders understand that adolescents will be the beneficiaries of the planet’s natural resources and natural wonders. In addition, we know that girls grow into the women who are taking on more and more leadership roles in communities, business, and government. Knowing this, we aim to enlist young women to advocate and take action for conserving natural resources and for the health and well-being of their communities. By introducing the value of nature to adolescent girls and giving them the necessary knowledge, support, and tools, AWOL’s programming will increase the number of future advocates and stewards of our natural environment and communities.
We also want girls and women to know they belong outdoors, they can attain any dream, and nothing and no one can keep them from achieving their goals. By providing girls with a safe, all-girls setting in which to participate, we will bypass many of the constraints to girls’ enjoyment of, and participation in, outdoor activities.